Sunday 18 March 2012

Hey Mumma!


Today was my third mother's day. My daughter made me a lovely card with her childminder. She was told to give me a kiss by her dad, and apart from the offer of cooking dinner from Mr Red Door ( ha ha ha ha!), the day was not much different from any other day.  Except for one teeny tiny thing...


...Today I was watching my little girl trying to play with two children that were a bit older than her. They could run faster and climb quicker, and my babe ran behind trying to keep up and join in. She didn't get noticed, and in a very short moment I could feel my eyes well up and my heart race at the thought of my little girl being ignored and left behind. The other children were not being horrible or ignoring her at all, they just didn't see her. But what if anybody did EVER choose to leave my little girl behind? This thought made me want to cry..a lot! I don't sound like a very happy mummy do I? I promise I am.
Being a mum does make me more than happy, and it brings me more joy and contentment than I can begin to explain, but with that happiness does come a heavier feeling of fierce protection.

It was only last night that I was having a conversation with my closest friend about being a mother. We shared similar feelings about the intensity of the love we have for our children. And how when it comes to protecting them... it's primal.
 My friend can be very quiet and calm. She's certainly not one of life's 'gobby' girls, but we know that she could turn into the Hulk without problem if her boys needed her protection.

 I always knew that protective feeling was there from the day she was born, but today somehow reinforced it, and gave me little glimpse into the monster I would be if anybody hurt my baby. I feel like my mum-o-meter has gone up a few notches in the 'feisty' direction. And that's only at the thought of anyone being horrible...no one actually has been yet!

 I'm not foolish enough to think that she won't ever be teased (or indeed do the teasing) or fall out with people as she gets bigger and learns more.  But while she is still just a baby, she has mummy and daddy to make sure that this growing up game is played fair.


My little girl is my finest creation and will be forever and ever. I can't ever be sorry for knowing that my love for her will always win should it come up against anything else.

I have been given the opportunity to love somebody in a way I didn't know was possible.

Now that is something to be Happy Mother's Day about.

No comments:

Post a Comment