Thursday 8 March 2012

Stitch stitch stitch.


During our television ban, I needed something to help fill my evenings.  My lovely friend taught me how to knit one night and I rather like it.  My work is a little scruffy but it's good fun. I refuse to start with the obligatory scarf though, so I'm knitting little pieces and will sew them together to make a blanket.
 However, It will possibly be the scruffiest blanket ever made- I drop the odd stitch here and there and forget what stitch I'm meant to be doing next, but I'm sure it will come together and function perfectly well (Hopefully).

 I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.
 A little daunting seeing as I've suddenly realized that in no time at all... I have grown up! I've told you that I would like to be a baker, but the truth is there are lots of things I would like to do and there always has been. It started when I was about 6 and I wanted to be a news reader. I then went through the police officer and doctor phase. Soon followed was being a teacher, interior designer and actress. If you can see a theme, you may know me better than I do!

The way my life worked out meant that I left college at 17 and started full time work. I won't say that I'm sad about that because if it was different I wouldn't have my cheeky little family, but there is a slight career shaped hole in me that doesn't seem to be going.

 Am I meant to be a full time mummy? Am I meant to stay and be content in my current job? (Which I do love, but am quite sure I don't see myself being there forever).  Am I meant to be brave and pursue the number one career choice that hasn't left me since I was 16?

I don't know.

But I think that's ok. I don't think there is anything wrong with getting to school leaving age and feeling a little lost. When I was 16, I thought that I was all grown up and able to make big decisions. Wrong! I was a baby and had not a hint of the direction I wanted to take my life in.

Since then my life has been like a long knit-a-thon. It's looked like it's going smoothly in one stitch, but I've then got stuck or had changes to deal with that meant my stitch changed abruptly and made things seem a bit of a mess. I've made bad decisions and consequently dropped a stitch and created a hole that will probably always be there. Thankfully, I'm not the knitter of my life though.  I'm just the wool, and any holes that I make don't actually mean that things are ruined.

 My little knitted pieces will be a bit messy, they will have mistakes in, and will generally be far from perfect. But I'll carry on and enjoy doing the best I can to make something lovely.

 As for my career...maybe time to be brave.

No comments:

Post a Comment