Monday 12 March 2012

Steer clear Germaine Greer!





 The sun is shining. I have the day off work with my little girl. I have cleaned the house, and when my sleeping babe wakes, we will go for a walk and then bake.
 Cleaning the house today got me thinking. I have been known to get a little crabby about housework, and have not seen why it should be my job to look after the house. Especially when I work and have to cook and wash for 3 people daily. Why shouldn't my husband offer to do his fair share?
 Well,1) He does, I'm just a fussy nag.
         2) He works full time, I work part time.
         3) He is a man, and doesn't see mess and dirt the same way I do. And so doesn't understand why I'm asking him to do certain things.
 And more importantly...
          4) I now think that it actually is my job.

I'm absolutely not a feminist. Without getting too political, I'm more of a- women are the fairer sex kinda gal.  I'm not an independent or feisty, suffragette sort of woman.
I'm a mother and a wife who likes to stay at home and look after her family and home. But here's the thing....I'm just going to put it out there...I don't have a problem with my husband expecting me to do so.

Hold the phone!!

I'm not saying everyone must agree. But I do think nesting/home making comes naturally to women, even if they don't ever do it. A woman just knows how to make something look a little bit nicer. A woman has watched her mum iron, hang out washing, make a lasagne, or beat the rugs (!) in a particular way for all her life. So things that aren't naturally built in are soon learned, probably without realizing.

I am much better at cleaning and tidying than my husband. I'm certainly a much better cook! But as much as I might like the idea of sitting with a cup of tea while he cleans and cooks, I know that he wouldn't have the chance because, I'd be right behind the poor man correcting him! I can't relax while somebody other than me is doing a chore while I'm in the house. If I ask my husband to load the dishwasher, I can't sit, I have to do a job too. It doesn't feel right to let somebody do what should be my (sometimes boring and grotty) job.

 Some ladies might think I'm old fashioned, and I totally am! I'm very happy with the housework being down to me. I know I can make a clean and tidy home for my family to enjoy and relax in. There is something about lasting mess in my house that makes things seem a little tense and loud somehow. So, if my house looks nice, I feel better and my family are happy. And, occasionally my husband will even give me kiss and thank me for working hard to make his home lovely, which is always a nice little surprise!

No comments:

Post a Comment