Tuesday 21 February 2012

I dream a vanilla sponge dream.


So, my dream of being a baker. It started not too long ago, although since becoming a wife nearly 4 years ago, I have always enjoyed cracking out the eggs and flour! The recent trend of cupcakes and general DIY baking is helpful- I noticed the quite impressive expansion of stock in the 'home baking' aisle in the supermarket. That makes shopping a lot more exciting!

I am rather tired of the normal working day. I would much rather love being able to bake in my kitchen for people who place the odd order here and there.

There has never really been anything in life that I've particularly excelled at. I was a slightly above average school student, with some artistic abilities that were always overshadowed by one or two others. I suppose I'm kind of a 'jack of all trades, but master of none'. Baking is probably no different; there are MUCH better bakers than me. But it's something I love and even though I know I will never be a Great British Baker, I am still good at it.            

Do we like to say what we are good at? I know some people who think that being confident in what you are good at is automatic arrogance. We must be humble and modest, and as long as you just try your best, then that's all that matters. Yes. But, who ever got anywhere by realizing they were good at something and then keeping it a secret for fear of being branded 'cocky'?! Wouldn't the world be boring if all the people in it ran from their own brilliance into mediocrity.

 If you asked Tom Hanks if he was a great actor, he would not say 'Oh, I'm alright I suppose' I'd like to think that he would call you stupid and say ' Yes I am'. I don't think there is anything wrong with being proud of your talents and achieving recognition for them. Would Mr Hanks have achieved global stardom and Hollywood film domination if he'd kept his Oscar winning abilities to himself? Nope.

My husband is a brilliant guitarist and most of the time he will agree that.
My brother in law excels at playing the drums (I'd like to think he would agree with that).
My nan knits like no one I know. (She won't agree with that, but she will happily get out her needles and prove to you her woollen worth!).

This is not boasting, this is stating facts.



So, I am a good baker. I need some practice with the piping bag, but for a slightly busy, working mother who isn't part of the W. I ... I'm not too bad at all. So I'll continue trying to achieve my little dream, for it is not stuck in any pipes.

1 comment:

  1. May I come over and do some experimental cake tasting sometime please? :P

    ReplyDelete