Thursday 2 February 2012

The Door

So, I begin. 
Upon browsing through some photographs, I found one of a little red door that I took while walking around the walls of York. I looked at it and thought 'am I a door?' (metaphorically of course!) My answer is yes.  Therefore, my first blog is why I think I am a door.


 I can (quite often in fact) look a little plain. My clothing won't be even close to fashionable, I won't be wearing jewellery and my face will be naked. These are the very things (and lack of) that blend me wonderfully into the background. Much like the average front door to a house; white UPVC, maybe a patterned bit of glass and a slightly rusty house number...hardly the wow factor among door enthusiasts (of which I know just one).  
  
Yet behind the most seemingly dull of house doors could and does await someone's extraordinary home. 


I can say that behind my average looking metaphorical door are many 'rooms'.  Some full of junk that I've forgotten about, others waiting to be filled with it! A room where nothing makes sense, and in it stands my husband with his head in his hands wondering what this crazy 'door' is all about. Rooms that can be viewed in a classic and traditional way, while just a few are minimalist and modern in contrast.


I realise I must not overlook those doors. The grand, wooden ones with the perfect varnish finish. The ones with the smell of freshly baked bread that's been brought straight from the Aga, coming from behind it. The ones with 'headturnability'. Sometimes behind them is a mansion filled with beauty that my humble abode will always feel overshadowed by. But I rest in the fact that sometimes damp will appear behind those extravagant doors, or the odd bit of fine bone china will get dropped.


My dad used to fit house doors for a long time (real ones!) and while some of them could not be called beautiful, he fitted them perfectly. I have been fitted perfectly too. I may be plain sometimes, but I am not ordinary. I think, the door to a home is the entrance to something beautifully personal (however messy), and the exit into the rest of the world. Therefore... I am a door.

1 comment:

  1. Really excited to follow this! Thanks for the explanation of the red door :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete